Monday, December 1, 2025

"Vienna" - Billy Joel

But you know when the truth is told that you can get what you want or you can just get old

I hate on millennials a lot. I mean a lot. But about 2 years ago on social media I started to see photo slideshows to "Vienna". There was some online discourse around whether this was the best song Billy did. It blew my mind that of all the songs, this gem made it on to Gen Y and Gen Z. Don't believe me, only "Piano Man" and "Uptown Girl" have more streams. "Vienna" will break one billion streams in 6 months.

My first concert was Billy Joel. The Innocent Man tour, my mom took me to the Civic Arena, it was amazing. I have a Billy Joel playlist on Spotify call, "No Scrubs". It is all album cuts, no singles. My favorite Billy album is Songs in the Attic. I blame that album for my weird obsession with concert albums. The fifth song off of Billy's 1977 album, The Stranger, Vienna is the perfect Billy Joel song. His piano and his voice the only instruments needed. Billy is the second artist with 2 songs on the mix tape, and here is a spoiler; the other song comes from this album too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Heartbreak Beat" - The Psychedelic Furs

But a kiss ain't enough Here is another classic from Double X. Man that station was the place to be from 1986 until 1988. Hard to bel...